3.08.2011

The bed that love built

 

*Spoiler alert* I’m really proud of this bed! I mean, really. We’ve never done anything like this before and I had no idea how it would go. But, we had to. Keith may not know it, but I’ve been bed shopping for a couple of months – ever since we decided to upgrade to a King (probably one of the coolest things we’ve ever done since adding to our family. Mornings are now awesome instead of crowded). Anyway, I wasn’t happy with what I was finding. Not because I couldn’t find anything I liked, I just couldn’t stomach the idea of spending that much. In fact, given no other choice I’d rather sleep in a boring/lame metal bed frame than shell out $799 (or more). Yup, it would have cost nearly 800 smackeroos for this

pb mason

Yes, it’s beautiful  but the price is not.

I recently stumbled upon this site. I have to warn you, it’s pretty flippin awesome. Addicting, if you will. I’ve got a laundry list of things I’d like to build on there. The site broke down a knock-off version of the Pottery Barn bed above into DIY plans, claiming it could be built in less than 2 hours. Seriously?! Well, long story short it was built pretty quickly and after staining and finishing the wood, it was in our room after a few days. Here’s how it went down – in pictures, of course:

February 2011 307 February 2011 313

[hanging out in the garage where it all went down]

February 2011 318 February 2011 323 February 2011 326 February 2011 327 February 2011 333

[beating the crap out of the wood, giving it more of a reclaimed look = fun]

February 2011 353

[learning as I went]

February 2011 354 

[keith carved this on the back]

February 2011 355 February 2011 360

 

…aaaand the finished product! wheeee!

March 2011 046 March 2011 049 March 2011 050 March 2011 051 March 2011 055

[our bed in all its unmade glory. i suppose now I have to find cute bedding!]

3 comments:

  1. I love this Melissa how long did it take to make? What was your final cost? What color of stain did you use? So food looking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan! We spent ~2 hours building and I did 2 coats of dark walnut stain (about 4 hours dry time) - I don't think the second coat was necessary though. After that, one coat of clear, satin polyurethane. We went out of town for a night while that dried and when we got back it was ready to go in our room. It still stinks pretty bad though. Something to take into consideration with the pregnancy...(the cold temps probably put a kink in things)

    The site puts the bed in the $50-$100 range, dependent where you live and lumber prices. We had NOTHING and spent $130. We have a ton of lumber and stain left over, so I suppose we only used <$100 worth of supplies, for what it's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you LOVE her website!!!??? I want to make everything!! The bed looks awesome!! Great job!! :)

    ReplyDelete

So, whaddya think?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin